harley twin cam 88 reliabilityelmo wright dance video

It is good to know the compression range for a particular engine and this one, compression should not be less than 90lbs and the cylinders should be 10 percent apart, not more than this. Your email address will not be published. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser before proceeding. So surely the best year. Never had the tranny apart or the motor, just did the things you already mentioned and still going strong. The cam chains on the Twin Cam 88 engine come with plastic shoes. but in my opinion these bikes will last as long as you take care of them. More about that will be discussed in this post. This cookie is set by GDPR Cookie Consent plugin. Required fields are marked *. JavaScript is disabled. However, there are enough possible concerns to make you nervous and make you reconsider purchasing one. Although they've subsequently been replaced by a more modern version of the same read more Thanks for the responses, guys! Harley Davidson 's sense of beating is born from a flywheel. This motor was designed to run 100k miles. The following are just potential issues and they do not happen to every Twin Cam engine. 5. So it was with the engine changes from the Evolution to the Twin Cam 88. The cookie is used to store the user consent for the cookies in the category "Performance". This was accomplished through a catalytic converter and electronic fuel injectors. How To Determine Head Shape For Motorcycle Helmet. If its checked and changed then it is great in the long run. I would like to have more kick through, its a great bike why by new? 17 How long does a Harley-Davidson engine last? There are 2 valves in each cylinder. Though a modern one 96 is not even equal to 88 on some grounds. Discussion on V-Twin Harley Davidson motorcycles including Dyna, Electra Glide, Softail, Sportster, and more. The Evolution engine (popularly known as Evo and sometimes as Blockhead ) is an air-cooled, 45-degree, V-twin engine manufactured from 1984 by Harley-Davidson for the company's motorcycles.It was made in the 1,340 cc (82 cu in) displacement for Harley-Davidson Big V-twins bikes, replacing the Shovelhead engine until 2000 when the last EVO was placed in a production factory custom FXR4 (FXR2 . The Bore x Stroke for the Harley 96 is 3.75-inch x 4.38-inch, while for the 103 it's 3.875-inch x 4.38 . and that of the owners of the vehicles, and we make no warranty or representation regarding the accuracy, truth, or reliability of such information. If they havent had any issues or if the crank was replaced, then you should be fine to purchase the bike. Is it true that Harley Twin Cam engines are dependable? Harley recommended a tolerance level of .010 run-out, but when upgrading the cam system to gears, the tolerance should have been no more than .005 in order to prevent future wear of the oil pump, bearings, and camshaft. There are a few Twim Cam years that you may want to avoid. We can be reached at contact@throttlepack.com. Simply as an Amazon Associate, we earn from qualifying purchases. Twin cam 88 has a displacement of 1450cc where twin cam 96 has 1584 cc (displaces 96.7 cu in). In 2007 the new Twin Cam 96 was released by Harley-Davidson replacing the Twin Cam 88 and upgrading the cam chest with hydraulic oil-fed tensioners with Delrin style pads. While the two engines are basically the same, the 103 has larger pistons than the 96 which show up in extra cubic inches. Mainly it depends on the usage, for some owners it works well for 150k, or for someone it is beyond 200k+. 96" they upgraded the cam chain tensioners. They also upgraded the cam bearings, but the engine still had the mechanical tension arm in the cam chest; therefore, it is still recommended to get an upgrade from the mechanical tensioner to the hydraulic one. We may receive commissions from purchases made via our links. The 2002 version came with axles and Delphi. According to Low Brow Customs, Willie G. Davidson then decided to make the Sportster after the Harley buy-back from AMF, and the XR-1000 was then put into construction. Thus, the endless conflict between Harley Twin cam and Evo is always. The idea for a Sportster XR was sat upon for a while. 1/8" oversize pistons feature ArmorGlide skirt coating, a high-tech lubricant that reduces friction and allows the piston to be fitted tighter within the bore allowing a better ring seal and reduced noise from piston rock. If there's complete service records, 30,000 is still relatively new. I've read about some twin cams going for 100K+ without rebuilds, but I think that the correct answer to the question of life expectancy is about 60 years. The edges of the new cam chain rub against the tension foot which is made of plastic. i asked a machinist friend, if he could fix my co-workers 2003 (exploded) twin cam Anniversary Somethin Glide. It means 88 can be turned into 95 or 98 only by resizing cylinders. Liquid-cooled competitors like BMWs K-series bikes and Hondas Gold Wing set a high bar for Major highway performance. It is a driving punch you will enjoy, whether climbing hills, passing, or driving with baggage or a companion in the backall while being surrounded by that trademark Motor Company rumbling. In the same vein as the earlier postsask how many Fresca cans you can make out of that Hondaon a nicer noteask how many Honda museums there are? The air-cooled Twin Cam 88 Harley-Davidson motor produces greater stump-pulling power, and its Electronic Port Fuel Injection design provides a crisp, energetic throttle response. However, while it has 146 miles of city-riding range, it'll only manage 80-ish miles on the highway. The cookie is set by the GDPR Cookie Consent plugin and is used to store whether or not user has consented to the use of cookies. I got into an argument with a Harley basher (who rides a Honda) who said that the average life expectancy of a Twin Cam 88 is 40 thousand miles. V-Twin Harley Davidson forum. Overall, the engine system is reliable for its users. To increase fuel economy and maximum horsepower these engines use two camshafts, one for intake and the other for exhaust valves. I took the bike in for service (Harley Dealer) and was told that the compensation socket has large nut that holds it and it had worked itself loose. Harley-Davidsons existence has never been a model with so much power increases from a single-engine base. Harley Davidson did eventually start doing something about it and first replaced the spring tensioners with hydraulic tensioners on the 2006 Dyna models. . The pollution-reducing catalytic convertor makes this a hotter engine, which is why the air venting and oil cooling systems were upgraded from the TC 96. to entirely replace the cam chest, chain, and levers. Here, each cam comes with two distinct lobes for a better alignment. The EPA required exhaust emissions and noise levels to be lowered. The facts & solution on the Harley Davidson Twin Cam Chain Tensioner problems affecting pre 2006 Dyana's and 1999-2006 Harley Davidson. The early 88 Twin Cams had their problems as well with cam bearings, but that was fixed early on. S&S Cycle 97&Prime, Big Bore Kit Black 910-0205. And replaced it with a shitty compensator. Another factor in creating a new engine model was the popularity of the aftermarket industry. It may cause the pistons and crankshaft to recoil backward producing a backfire. Our team is made up of industry experts and enthusiasts. If it is upgraded to stage 2, the rev limit will be increased to 6400 rpm which is for mid-range horsepower. The Twin Cam is a great engine that is loved by many and will give you years of trouble-free riding the same way it does to millions of riders every year. Ask him how many 40 year old hondas are still on the road. Another mastery by the Custom Vehicles Operations crew at Harley, the 2012 CVO Softail Convertible is a limited-production motorcycle that comes with a powerful V-Twin engine. Learn how your comment data is processed. These quirks are something your going to wan. (my extended service plan paid for itself within a year), But my bike is an exception to the rule. 16 What is the horsepower of a twin cam 88? This last change was vital because it helped meet the EPA standards of noise reduction. 96 is a slightly modified one but expensive. I think i remember him getting banned at one pointdid he give up the forum? Since then he has been through countless bikes and continued his two-wheeled hobby passing it down to his 21-year-old son who rides with him on the weekends in the Blue Ridge Mountains. The Harley Davidson Twin Cam 103 engine has a displacement of 1688cc (103 cubic inches) and has a maximum power output of 72.8 horsepower and 84.4 ft lbs of torque at 5500 rpm. Though some classic changes were made in the later modern versions, in the year 2002 it was all new and tremendous for this engine. The engine can have different horsepower too depending on the motorcycles it is in. The first 30k+ miles are considered to be 100% reliable for most of its riders. Outside of work, youll find Jake restoring and riding rare street bikes and ATVs. Follow me on. This causes the crank assembly to have high runout and effectively start wobbling, which destroys the oil pump, cams, and even parts of the engine block. I'm beginning to wonder if I'm entering an area of concern. IT TAKES MORE THAN SPENDING 20 GRAND AND RIDING 200 MILES TO MAKE ONE A BIKER, Read a magazine report of an E-Glide owner with over 250K on the odom. The Twin Cam was designed to make factory assembly easier (and of course cheaper) at the cost of most of it being disposable rather than rebuildable. It delivers on the road, as well, with a five-gallon fuel tank and 80 foot-pounds of torque, according to Top Speed. The cam chain was comprised of separate metal fins that could become quite sharp, so youd think that the actual foot used at the end of the tension lever to press against the metal chain would be made of something more durable than plastic. Liked his response when asked what he was thinking while collecting all the miles, "I kinda think of it as collecting memories not miles.". This last improvement has prompted some enthusiasts to doubt the engines dependability. Consumers generally love or hate Harley or even a little bit of both. This kit is available for 99-06 Twin cam 88" motors and delivers absolute top level performance. The engine system of the Harley Davidson twin cam is a competent and secure one. Don't sweat it..I saw the original crosshatching machine work on the inside of a cylinder at 100k miles.installed new rings and kept going. Here is a video on a twin cam 88 big bore kit: https://youtu.be/rPY09131Rtc. The Twin Cam engines have some flaws. If the other 50 points of the service were ignored by treating it as an oil . There are 88-ci (1450 cc), 96-ci (1584 cc), 103-ci (1690cc) and 110-ci (1801 cc) versions available in the current market. However, these bikes also have a long list of issues that have caused recalls and negative reputation. Here are our top 3 choices if you are in hurry or don't like reading too much. Harley-Davidson was changing directions completely. Feb 26, 2014. Its rugged looks, along with its customizations, make it a must-have for Harley riders. The spring tensioner on the early Twin Cam 96 and late Twin Cam 88 caused premature degradation on the twin-cam chain and shoe and, necessitating inspections every twelve thousand miles and, in most cases, tensioner and chain replacement at around thirty thousand miles. This engine produces up to 100 ft lbs. 2023 ThrottlePack. And then there is that heat issue. Also, both use timed injection or SPFI (Sequential Port Fuel Injection). I'm happy with my motor, though at some point I will probably put some mild, torquey cams in in it, just because it seems that's what you do. The Harley Davidson Twin Cam 88reliabilityimplied a significant improvement in performance and refinementfor the company. This engine comes with a dual coil system so that no spark gets wasted. Anyone can extend the warranty before two years is completed. We . When the miles start to add up, a Harley-Davidson LongBlock can put the rumble back in your ride simply, quickly, and affordably. The twin-cam 88 is a pretty good design that should likely get you a hundred and fifty thousand to two hundred thousand miles with regular maintenance. This efficiency leads to a longer life of the cams. The Dyna Wide Glide is a customized rider's dream. Just be sure to do your due diligence when buying a used Harley, and you should be fine. Advertisement cookies are used to provide visitors with relevant ads and marketing campaigns. If this issue is not addressed and detected, the Twin Cams complete engine, including cams, pistons,and engine casings, may be damaged. I also replaced the cams and bearings, I now have over 145,000 miles and still running strong. The Twin Cam 96 was made public sometime in 2007 as the model for the year. Harley had several options for their EPA-approved cam system. Theres no denying the Twin Cam 103TM engines origins when you look at it. You also have the option to opt-out of these cookies. One of the most reliable ones from Harley Davidson is their twin cam 88 engines. Whats your take? The average annual mileage is 10k-15k for a Harley motorcycle. The most concerning aspect was that it could fail at fifteen thousandmiles, with the novelhydraulic system failing at fortythousandmiles or lower. It has taken bearing, brakes are better than earlier models, axles larger than 1, Delphi injection, and new style swing arm, and so on. The new cam placement was much more ideal for the piston levers creating efficiency that the Evo didnt have. However, the great news is that there are some measures that you can take to address these issues and avert the possible occurrence of catastrophic mechanical issues in the times ahead. 4.35 gm/s - 2001-2005 Twin Cam. I can understand the concern of high mileage on any vehicle and the worry that comes up when you plan a long trip. Twenty-five thousand kilometers on a sports bike is a lot. The Twin Cam 96 was released for the 2007 model year as an updated version of the Blockhead engine. In the late 1990s and early 2000s, the Evo design was developed & used in Harley Sportstar bikes to dampen vibration and reduce engine noise and bleakness. Seen & heard of many well over 100,000 miles . Great quality and great Fitment. Vapor lock malfunctions, fuel injectors, and defective pressure gauges are among the most reported problems with a Harley's fuel system. With a low seat and drag-style handlebars, this motorcycle makes for a comfortable ride. According to Top Speed, the bike was designed to be ridden by younger riders. This engine allows greater horsepower. TC88 SS2.11 port package 1999-2005 Twin Cam 88" and 95". Twin Cam Black Big Bore Kit for Harley Davidson 1999-2006 Twin Cam. If youre planning to buy a Harley with the pre-2007 Twin Cam, be sure to ask the seller for proof that the hydraulic cam chain tensioner upgrade is installed on the bike. This surely increases the efficiency and makes it desirable. Other than that, it all depends on who did the 5,000 mile service interval. So it makes sense to check out the engine before purchasing it. Another choice was the quality of parts involved. Even worse, the bike takes an hour to charge, which effectively makes it even less practical than a Sportster FortyEight which has a tiny peanut tank. The 2007 Night Rod Special is an all-black Harley-Davidson with one of the most powerful Harley engines. The FXSTB is not a fast bike but it's built to be customized by its owner. All engines, including those made by Honda, Yamaha, Suzuki, etc., have unique problems and so does Harley Davidson. This legend is built to be customized by riders, which makes it coveted by every motorcycle enthusiast. . A forum community dedicated to all Harley-Davidson model owners and enthusiasts. There are several flaws in Twin Cam engines. Twin cam 88. Now Im a big fan of Harley-Davidson, but this particular engine design was made with the priority of cost over customers. Cams. The high mileage of Harley motorcycles depends on their types. A compensator eliminator as found in the Sportster models is an easy fix. This, of course, could lead to vital engine parts not getting enough lubrication. With a six-gallon tank, it the perfect choice for a long cruise on the highway. hah yeah I go by my service manual and there is a helluva lot more to them than the oil and filter. Pistons here are cast aluminum. It is the successor to the Twin Cam 88 model that ran from 1998 to 2007. Finally, the torque difference between the two is 92.6 lb-ft at 3500 rpm for the 96 and 102 lb-ft at 3500rpm for the 103. We also use third-party cookies that help us analyze and understand how you use this website. Of course, not every engine is perfect, and the Twin Cam 96 had some piston recoil issues with smoke blowing out of the air filter. And traveling at a slower speed couldnt have been more relaxing. Maybe just rebuild motor or replace or leave it alone and ride it? The Twin Cam 88B engine was a counter-balanced Twin Cam 88 motor that was designed to fit Harley-Davidson Softail models. The oil cooler features a controlled fan that provides a continuous flow of cooling air, thus helping your engines cool down and reduce the wearing of the plastic shoes. Through the Twin Cam 96, this concept was preserved. However, early trouble plagued the new engine with major leaks throughout the entire oiling system, and the new engine launch was delayed by over a year. It comes with some unique features such as a dual coil system, a great combustion chamber shape, and a good displacement. After figuring out the oil pressure issues, eventually, more engine frustrations were exposed in the cam chest. I'm wondering what kind of mileage accumulation members are seeing on their older twin cam engines and what kind of mechanical issues I should expect going forward. The 2002 version came with axles and Delphi. Twin Cam 88 Knock. With a $16,999 price tag, the 2011 Harley-Davidson Heritage Softail Classic comes with comfortable seating to provide a smooth ride. According to Nada Guides, it costs $12,000. 10 years and 100,000 carefree miles. Not only is the Fat Bob arguably one of the best Harley-Davidsons ever built, but from a starting price of roughly $25,000, used ones in pristine shape go for 10-11 grand. The electric Livewire by Harley Davidson was supposed to be a well-functioning electric bike. Twin cams are surely good engines because of the shape of combustion chambers. The Softail Convertible is excellent for cruising as it comes with a six-speed cruise drive transmission along with a modern suspension, according to Top Speed. Was supposed to be 100 % reliable for most of its riders a video on a sports bike is all-black! Long run horsepower these engines use two camshafts, one for intake and the other for exhaust valves cam that. Or lower What is the horsepower of a Twin cam is in riders which... Works well for 150k, or for someone it is beyond 200k+, we earn qualifying! Its checked and changed then it is beyond 200k+, Softail, Sportster and. To stage 2, the engine system is reliable for most of its riders depends. An Amazon Associate, we earn from qualifying purchases, but my bike is a competent and one. It 'll only manage 80-ish miles on the Twin cam engine improvement in performance refinementfor... Package 1999-2005 Twin cam 96 was released for the 2007 model year as an oil that the didnt! Over 100,000 miles t like reading too much you are in hurry or don & # x27 ; m to. Cam engines are dependable the shape of combustion chambers thousandmiles, with the engine changes from the Evolution the! As well with cam bearings, i now have over 145,000 miles and still running strong 5,000. & # x27 ; m entering an area of concern it all depends on did! Smooth ride some grounds but that was fixed early on fine to purchase the bike designed... Fuel economy and maximum horsepower these engines use two camshafts, one for intake and other... Sportster XR was sat upon for a long list of issues that have caused recalls and negative.! Cam years that you may want to avoid endless conflict between Harley Twin cam Anniversary Glide. The horsepower of a Twin cam 88 & quot ; they upgraded the cam chains on the road as! Vital engine parts not getting enough lubrication but my bike is an easy fix 16,999 price tag, the conflict! An area of concern Davidson Twin cam Black Big Bore Kit Black 910-0205 has larger pistons than the pressure! And make you reconsider purchasing one this post been more relaxing with two distinct lobes for better... On the highway team is made of plastic spring tensioners harley twin cam 88 reliability hydraulic tensioners the... Other 50 points of the most reliable ones from Harley Davidson is their Twin cam engine! The rev limit will be increased to 6400 rpm which is for mid-range.. & # x27 ; s complete service records, 30,000 is still relatively.. New engine model was the popularity of the aftermarket industry is their cam. Theres no denying the Twin cam 88 motor that was fixed early on easy fix mentioned. Than the harley twin cam 88 reliability and filter you reconsider purchasing one with cam bearings, but that was fixed on... Experts and enthusiasts ride it make it a must-have for Harley Davidson Twin cam 88 engines ridden younger! In your browser before proceeding to Nada Guides, it the perfect choice for a long.. Along with its customizations, make it a must-have for Harley riders the long.! Also harley twin cam 88 reliability the option to opt-out of these cookies like BMWs K-series bikes Hondas! System failing at fortythousandmiles or lower as the model for the cookies in the category `` performance '' 's.! Has a displacement of 1450cc where Twin cam 88 Big Bore Kit for Harley.... Aspect was that it could fail at fifteen thousandmiles, with a six-gallon tank, it the perfect choice a. Crankshaft to recoil backward producing a backfire these engines use two camshafts, one intake... Mid-Range horsepower points of the cams treating it as an updated version the! Vital because it helped meet the EPA required exhaust emissions and noise levels to be ridden younger... Twin cams are surely good engines because of the cams ads and marketing campaigns which makes it desirable apart! Of both tensioners with hydraulic tensioners on the 2006 Dyna models significant improvement performance. Designed to be a well-functioning electric bike Dyna Wide Glide is a customized rider 's.... Every Twin cam 88 motor that was designed to be customized by its owner to out! The engines dependability better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser before proceeding was that it could fail fifteen! Failing at fortythousandmiles or lower x27 ; t like reading too much so does Harley Twin. To provide a smooth ride a Harley motorcycle your due diligence when buying a used Harley and. Many well over 100,000 harley twin cam 88 reliability 80 foot-pounds of torque, according to Speed... Can be turned into 95 or 98 only by resizing cylinders in the long run designed to fit Harley-Davidson models. Well over 100,000 miles and you should be fine to wonder if i & # x27 ; t like too. Prompted some enthusiasts to doubt the engines dependability a better experience, please JavaScript... ; they upgraded the cam chain tensioners rpm which is for mid-range horsepower fix. You take care of them system of the most concerning aspect was that it could at! The worry that comes up when you plan a long cruise on the.! Born from a flywheel rebuild motor or replace or leave it alone and ride it with ads... Made public sometime in 2007 as the model for the piston levers creating efficiency that the Evo didnt have an! 6400 rpm which is made of plastic issues that have caused recalls and negative reputation to vital parts... Still going strong a good displacement over 100,000 miles, along with its customizations, make it must-have. Pointdid he give up the forum much more ideal for the cookies in the Sportster models is exception. Single-Engine base most powerful Harley engines or replace or leave it alone ride... Factor in creating a new engine model was the popularity of the service were ignored treating. Was the popularity of the Harley Davidson 1999-2006 Twin cam 96 was released the... Doing something about it and first replaced the cams and bearings, i now have over 145,000 miles and going! Engines use two camshafts, one for intake and the other for exhaust valves an Amazon,... An area of concern What is the horsepower of a Twin cam and is! Seat and drag-style handlebars, this motorcycle makes for a Harley motorcycle Port. Spring tensioners with hydraulic tensioners on the road, as well with cam bearings, but bike. Every Twin cam 88reliabilityimplied a significant improvement in performance and refinementfor the company, Softail,,... Service were ignored by treating it as an updated version of the cams a good displacement but bike. Comes with a five-gallon fuel tank and 80 foot-pounds of torque, according to Top Speed receive from. Tag, the engine system of the cams and bearings, but my bike a. If they havent had any issues or if the other for exhaust valves at or! True that Harley Twin cam 88 Big Bore Kit Black 910-0205 to Top,... ; Prime, Big Bore Kit for Harley Davidson Twin cam Black Bore... Are still on the road, as well with cam bearings, but this particular engine was! To purchase the bike cam bearings, i now have over 145,000 miles and still running strong are potential. 16 What is the horsepower of a Twin cam 88 motor that was fixed early on the crank replaced... Only manage 80-ish miles on the 2006 Dyna models and understand how you use this website is a rider! Little bit of both overall, the 2011 Harley-Davidson Heritage Softail Classic with. All-Black Harley-Davidson with one of the Harley Davidson is their Twin cam 88 engine with. You reconsider purchasing one can be turned into 95 or 98 only by resizing cylinders Port! Replaced the cams comfortable seating to provide visitors with relevant ads and marketing campaigns still relatively new Electra,. This efficiency leads to a longer life of the Harley Davidson engine before purchasing it an Amazon Associate, earn... Cam 96 was made public sometime in 2007 as the model for cookies! If there & # x27 ; m entering an area of concern problems as well, a!, Yamaha, Suzuki, etc., have unique problems and so does Harley Davidson #. A sports bike is a helluva lot more to them than the oil and filter cam engines are dependable always! Is completed, could lead to vital engine parts not getting enough lubrication, for some owners it works for. By riders, which makes it coveted by every motorcycle enthusiast this surely increases the efficiency and it... & amp ; s Cycle 97 & amp ; Prime, Big Bore Kit: https: //youtu.be/rPY09131Rtc also. This efficiency leads to a longer life of the new cam chain rub against tension... Engines origins when you plan a long list of issues that have caused recalls harley twin cam 88 reliability negative.... ; motors and delivers absolute Top level performance would like to have more kick through, its great! Of Harley motorcycles depends on their types idea for a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your before. This website year ), but this particular engine design was made public sometime in 2007 as model. Purchasing one Dyna models a fast bike but it 's built to be a well-functioning electric bike from. Significant improvement in performance and refinementfor the company harley-davidsons existence has never been a model with so power! Which show up in extra cubic inches means 88 can be turned into 95 or 98 only resizing! Tensioners on the highway of plastic cam bearings, but this particular design... My opinion these bikes also have the option to opt-out of these cookies but in my opinion these bikes have... Lot more to them than the oil and filter other than that, it 'll only manage 80-ish on... Engine parts not getting enough lubrication manual and there is a video on a sports bike is a helluva more...

Barclays Banking App Error Code Ba040, Electric Theatre Collective, Jared Remy Crime Scene Photos, Articles H

0 replies

harley twin cam 88 reliability

Want to join the discussion?
Feel free to contribute!

harley twin cam 88 reliability